Advantages and Disadvantages of a Sheet Metal Roof for Construction
When it was 1st introduced in modern construction in the 1950s, the sheet metal roof was a popular material for agricultural, commercial and industrial purposes. Seeing a building with a sheet metal roof was a common sight due to it needing fewer repairs and last longer, extending the period between replacements. By better understanding styles and types of sheet metal roofing, managers can provide recommendations for innovative metal roof installations and for conversions of existing roofs made out or other material into a sheet metal roof.
There are a lot of reasons why most people prefer to have a sheet metal roof. The primary reasons are as follows.
- The main reason why people prefer a sheet metal roof is for its uncanny durability, it can easily last for more than four decades. Some of the newer and more sophisticated types of sheet metal roof using coatings of various synthetic materials can last even longer than that. It a very practical choice due to it having less maintenance costs than other types of roofing and you can depend on it to weather through the times without major damage.
- High quality types of sheet metal roof are coated with a mixture of chemicals that aids in preventing unwanted growths of mildew and algae and prolongs it life and it also is a prime factor that it is resistant to the common problems such as rot, rust and insects.
- Another very important factor is that a sheet metal roof is fireproof. The sheets used have a Class-A fire rating, which is the highest rating as far as fire-resistance is concerned. It is a very important factor in all types of construction. Non-combustible materials in construction are always a must.
- Another advantage of deciding on having a sheet metal roof for your building or home is that sheet metal is a very lightweight material and it can easily installed or replaced with minimum effort thereby saving both valuable time and money during construction.
- A sheet metal roof is made of galvanized recycled steel, it is quite praised the eco-conscious community for that reason. Managers can easily recycle old sheets after it has been replaced with a new one. It means that there are less waste going to the garbage and it is also another reason why installing a sheet metal roof is more economically sound than installing other types.
There are also disadvantages of having a sheet metal roof, like it is very prone to denting when a very heavy object falls or hits the surface of the roof. Installation cost is also high but is not really a problem due that it requires less maintenance so you are actually saving money in the long run. Another is the sound that rain makes on a sheet metal roof. The advantages weigh more than the disadvantages and it is guaranteed that sheet metal will continue on to be a popular roofing material for buildings in the future.